THE TALON

THE TALON

Digging Through The Playoffs

Daniel Sterbens, Editor in Chief

Going into this season, Fivay High School’s volleyball team was looking to rebuild; learning from past failures and looking for players to fill key roles left by graduating players, they were expected to be good, but many wondered just how good they’d be. The program headed by coach Nikki Pollock was no doubt going to be a district contender, the past 3 years they have fielded teams that have made deep playoff runs, but could they make it back to the Elite 8?

The season got off to a rocky start after a tough loss to Nature Coast, a familiar face in the playoffs. The team visibly suffered from some errors in communication between players and lost in three sets. This loss certainly shook the team and stirred doubts, but the loss also hardened their resolve.

After making some changes in their lineup, the team showed a drastic improvement in their play and acted more as a cohesive unit. Players stepped up, mistakes were made, lessons were learned the hard way, and the team would fight through an up-and-down regular season record of 14-12. But in the district, the team would be undefeated, and heading into the district tournament there was a renewed sense of enthusiasm and confidence.

Emerging as district champions, it became clear that the Falcons were definitely beyond rebuilding; by the time they were in the quarter finals any doubt that this team came to play were cast aside and traded in for some Falcon Fanatics gear.

The only things standing between making it the Elite 8 for the second year in a row was the very team they had met at the beginning of the season; Nature Coast. In a hard fought game filled with cheers and frustration, the game would have to be decided by a fifth set. Anxiety filled the gym and nerves were at an all time high every serve.

For the first few points, it seemed as though it was going to be a gut wrenching set of back and forth scoring, but then the lead grew. Point by point, the Falcons would pull ahead and inch closer to their magic number 15. 14-8 would hang over the team as for one last volley they fought hard till a triumphant blow of the whistle would tell them they had made it.

The team had come full circle, and out on top. Tears and hugs greeted player and fans alike in the exciting occasion. The Falcons were back, playing better than ever, and they were ready for their spot in the Elite 8.

Tuesday, November 6 the team takes on Santa Fe for the regional finals. The game starts at 7:00 and a tailgate for students starts at at 5:30 for what is likely to be an action packed game.

About the Writer
Daniel Sterbens, Editor in Chief

Daniel Sterbens has been a part of The Talon staff for two years and has also worked with Fivay's broadcasting program The Wingspan News. He is currently...