THE TALON

September Athletes of The Month

Cody Sterbens, News Reporter

With Fall sports coming to an end, both athletes and their respective teams had successful seasons. Some athletes during the Fall season were a major pillar to their sports success. For the month of September, the Fall Athletes of the Month are Madison Kachurak (‘20) and Jayvon Wilson (‘19).

Kachurak dominated in volleyball this season, helping to lead the team to a district title and a trip to the elite 8 in the regional playoffs. She not only brought her skill to the court but her positive energy as well that helped the team win games. On the team she helped prove that the team could be just as good as it was seasons prior.

“I like to help bring my teammates up and let them know that if they made a mistake it’s not a big deal,” Kachurak described. As an athlete, the attitude they bring is just as important as their performance on their team.

Wilson was a stud on the Ridgewood football team last season and that did not change by any means this season. For a sport like football, to blend two school’s programs and expect to have a good result is a tough ask. However, with Wilson being a core member of the team he helped provide the leadership necessary to lead Fivay to a great season finishing 4-6.

“Our line has really helped to give us scoring opportunities during games. Without my line I can’t do anything. My coaches always pushing me to the best of my abilities and my teammates supporting me throughout the season has meant a lot to me,” Wilson expressed.

The leadership he brings is only a portion of his value to the team. With his season over, Wilson finishes his career with 2,605 rushing yards and 28 touchdowns, a stat line that will be hard to replicate for years to come.

Though they may be the athletes of the month for September, their entire season they have been outstanding in their respective sports that make them worthy of this honor.

About the Writer
Cody Sterbens, Reporter

Cody Sterbens is one of the newest additions to The Talon staff. He has a talent for writing and writes for the sports section of the paper.