Keeping Up With the Z’s

Adelitta Stanton, News Reporter

Wake up at 6:30 and get ready, go to school for six classes a day, participate in timely extracurricular activities or sports, complete homework, work at your job, keep an active social life, and somewhere in the mix of things find time for sleep.

For high schoolers, it is not uncommon of them to practice poor sleeping habits in order to achieve all of these things needed. Not only do high schoolers skip sleep to keep good grades in school, but also from stress life brings them. Some students have witnessed where skipping out on sleep isn’t beneficial to them in the classroom and takes a toll on their learning. Moses Figueroa (‘19) is a student who skipped sleep much of his prior years in high school and from that has now changed his sleeping habits to avoid the side-effects of missing sleep.

“Consistently going to bed at an extremely late time or not going to sleep at all took a huge toll on me.” Figueroa explained, “I forgot to eat a lot, I was becoming nauseatingly pale, and I was passing out throughout the school day. I really cared about my future and how I presented myself so I had to change.”

Getting little sleep can affect not only your health, but also it can affect students performance in school. It can impact a student’s engagement and attention at school.

“I believe that it is easier to stay awake and alert in my classes [when I get enough sleep], which makes it easier to not miss as much,” said Melissa Deter (‘22). “Even though I’m there sometimes, I’m actually not there because I didn’t get enough sleep.”

Not only do students notice these changes, but teachers do too. Psychology teacher Mrs. Alison Lockhart has witnessed a difference in students who get enough sleep and those who don’t. Test scores of students who get more sleep tend to be higher than their counterparts who don’t. Since students should be getting around nine to ten hours of sleep a night, Mrs. Lockhart offers some tips in order to gain more sleep.

“Make a schedule where you can allow more time for sleep and utilize lunch time or falcon time to do homework or try to get more done in class where you don’t have to do as much.” Mrs.Lockhart said, “Limit your hours if you can, and try to stay off the phone when you go home so you can get more sleep in.”

Although getting sleep may be difficult for us to do with such busy schedules, it is pivotal for our education and success in school and thus life. Better sleeping methods can change students and people in general to live more positively with better health and performance. In other words, the more sleep the better.