THE TALON

Red Dead Redemption Robbed

Back to Article
Back to Article

Red Dead Redemption Robbed

Cody Sterbens, News Reporter

Every year, a game gets announced as game of the year. For 2018, the game God of Wars won the award. Games in the running were Red Dead Redemption 2, God of War, and Fortnite. For gamers, all of these games had unique features that appealed to many. However, many agree that Red Dead Redemption 2 was robbed of the award.

Throughout the game you play as Arthur Morgan, a renowned outlaw who was one of the senior members of the Van Der Linde gang. As the game unfolds you start to learn more about Morgan’s life as well as the other people in the gang. The gang attempts to survive not only the weather, but government agencies and other gangs.

There are many features that make this game so unique. Red Dead Redemption features an interactive open world where players can choose whether they would like to complete side missions, story missions, or just explore the open world.

This game can either be played in first-person or third-person perspectives, making it suitable for everyone, whatever your preference. Whether you’re hunting or robbing a bank, Red Dead Redemption 2 is packed with action no matter what you choose to have Arthur Morgan do.

Included in the game is an honor system, where doing good deeds gives Arthur an increase in honor, while doing harmful things such as stealing a stagecoach would result in a decline in it. Your honor level helps determine if you get a discount for goods in shops and also how the game ends.

This is a prequel to the original Red Dead Redemption, where you discover how the Van Der Linde gang fell apart, and how John Marston ended up where he is in the original game.

Another game that ranked among the most popular of the year was Fortnite. With many different game modes like creative and battle royale, the game is appealing to some gamers.   

The winner of game of the year, God of War, is a third-person adventure game featuring Kratos and his son Atreus. After he killed all the Greek gods in previous games, he tries to spread his wife’s ashes at the highest peak of the nine realms, where along the way he comes across monsters and Norse gods. This game not only includes an interesting story line with many twists, but also insanely good graphics.

2018 was a year filled with fantastic games, although many agree one of the greatest created in years was Red Dead Redemption 2. The thought and attention to detail put into the graphics and story line makes it not only a fantastic game but a masterpiece.

About the Writer
Cody Sterbens, Reporter

Cody Sterbens is one of the newest additions to The Talon staff. He has a talent for writing and writes for the sports section of the paper.