THE TALON

A New Class With A Familiar Name

Back to Article
Back to Article

A New Class With A Familiar Name

The faces of the four newest additions to the Major League Hall of Fame in Cooperstown.

Cody Sterbens

Every Winter, a new class of Hall of Famers is decided for Major League Baseball. These players not only are voted for the multitude of achievements they have earned nor the number of rings they have, but for the character they have while doing it. The 2019 Hall of Fame class is possibly one of the greatest, featuring Mike Mussina, Edgar Martinez, Roy Halladay, and Mariano Rivera.

Pitcher Mike Mussina, a 5 time all-star and a 7 time gold glove winner, played all of his career for both the Yankees and Orioles. Edgar Martinez, who played all of his 17 year career with the Mariners, revolutionized the designated hitter position and even had an award named after him. The great Roy Halladay was inducted in his first year on the ballot as a 8 time all-star, however unfortunately passed away in 2017. The last of the 2019 Hall of Fame class is closer Mariano Rivera, who was unanimously voted in after receiving 425 out of the 425 votes available.

No player has ever been voted in unanimously in the Hall of Fame’s history since 1936. Analysts and ballot casters all agreed that Mariano is not only a player who revolutionized the closer position but also is the greatest relief pitcher of all time. The five-time World Series champion showed consistent dominance all throughout his 17 season career.

The postseason is where Rivera really earned his name. In a mind boggling stat, more people have walked on the Moon(12), than people have scored against Rivera in the postseason(11).

This year, same as all years, the question is raised of whether steroid users should be inducted into the Hall. Every year, steroid users Roger Clemens and Barry Bonds get slight bumps in their percentage of votes. Both earned nearly the same percentage this year, about 59.5%, with 75% of votes needed to get elected and them having 3 years left on the ballot. Each year they receive a bump in the voting by a few percent, raising the question of whether or not they will get enshrined into the Hall.

The four players elected and becoming apart of the greatest tier of baseball players to ever play the game is a big achievement, and the four enshrined showed every game they were built for the Hall of Fame.

About the Writer
Cody Sterbens, Reporter

Cody Sterbens is one of the newest additions to The Talon staff. He has a talent for writing and writes for the sports section of the paper.