THE TALON

Breaking The Mold

Daniel Sterbens, Editor in Chief

Before you on a pottery wheel lays a lump of wet clay like a Hershey’s Kiss just waiting to take shape. Sitting at the wheel, arms stretched out, trying with all your might, you try to mold this spinning clay into something resembling anything. Time after time, little by little, what once would share little resemblance to a bowl has finally become just that. Soon concepts become concrete and individual ideas emerge, allowing for true beauty and art to take place.

Throw all this hard work and perseverance together along with some laughter, and you will have the works of Fivay’s 3D art students. Currently on display in Building One, this semester highlights the 3D capabilities of art students.

“I told everyone that they had to make three masks and three containers,” says Ms. Wells, Fivay’s art teacher, “and so I sat down and showed everyone how to turn a small lump of clay into a bowl or vase.” Laughing she adds, “People underestimate just how hard it can really be and so it took some help in the beginning, but gradually I had to help less and less and that’s where students were really able to make their own pieces.”

On their own, is where art students thrive. From the basic concept of creating containers and building off of face molds, students were able to create uniquely different pieces that were representative of their own personalities.

“Forming the clay was easily one of the hardest parts…” remarks Hailey Boudreau (‘19). Laughing her friend Kaylie Landsey (‘19) interjects, “Which means sometimes you have to wing it.” When working with 3D art, rarely do projects turn out exactly as designed. Gesturing to her  flowering glossy black vase, almost resembling obsidian, Boudreau shares, “That was supposed to be a salt and pepper shaker, but as I started working on it, it started to just become what it is now.”

Standing beside her green and blue bowl, Leah Gulotta (‘20) expresses a similar sentiment as her classmates. “When I had started the process of putting on the glaze, my bowl started to become a completely different color than I had thought it would be. Now that it is all done, the color and pattern I achieved were better than I could have imagined my final product would look like.”

Expressing the complexity, passion, and creativity of 3D art, the display case is diverse and is full of eye catching pieces everywhere you look. Specially designed rain sticks represent the background of the artists themselves and contain depictions of their everyday lives. Though the display this time is to highlight 3D art, filling the spaces between the vast collection of pottery are captivating 2D artworks produced by other art students. On display for a limited time, students should be sure to stop by to enjoy and appreciate the creative offerings of Fivay art before they are replaced by all new creations and themes.

About the Contributor
Daniel Sterbens, Editor in Chief

Daniel Sterbens has been a part of The Talon staff for two years and has also worked with Fivay's broadcasting program The Wingspan News. He is currently...