THE TALON

Please DON’T Be My Valentine

Back to Article
Back to Article

Please DON’T Be My Valentine

Carly Cline, Section Editor

Valentine’s Day is known for being the time for hopeful lovers to shoot their shot, but what if the one asking to be your Valentine is not your Prince Charming? Letting them down easy can be hard, so we have come up with a few ways to get you out of an awkward rejection.

1. “I Only See You As A Friend”: As awful as it can be being put into the friend zone, sometimes that’s just the way things need to be. It’s better to be honest and true to yourself than lie to make someone feel better.
  2. “It’s Not You, It’s Me”: (Let’s be real, sometimes it really is them) but sometimes these dreaded words can be enough to let someone know that you really care about them and don’t want them to feel bad about themselves.Things just really aren’t going to work out.
  3. Be Honest: Honesty really is the best policy, especially when it comes to letting someone down. The worst thing you can do is not communicate how you feel because if they really care, they will value your emotions and respect your decision.
  4. Stick With “I” Statements: It may seem dumb but seriously if you use statements starting with I, you are more likely to be honest and open with how you really feel which is key to a rejection.
  5. Do Not Give False Hope: Being led on is not cool, and sometimes people do it unintentionally, but it is important to not give a false hope by being too nice. Sometimes it may really hurt, saying exactly what needs to be said can be hard but it is better to “rip the band-aid off” than try and shelter someone’s emotions in a soft let down.
  6. Think About What You Want To Say Beforehand: If you know it’s coming, be sure to think about what you want to say or do. This can help soften the blow and make things less awkward between each other when it happens.
  7. Prepare Them For What You’re About To Say (loosen them up beforehand with pleasant conversation): If you know that someone’s about to reveal their feelings to you and you’re going to have to let them down, chances are you’ll be able to see it coming. Some kind words at the beginning of your conversation may be enough to give them a hint you just aren’t into them or can help make rejecting them go a little smoother.
  8. Begin With A Good Transition To Rejection Mode: A good transition can help steer the conversation in the right direction so you can say all you need to and let them down easy.
  9. Stay Strong And Don’t Give In: Caving in is one of the worst things you can do. Not staying true to your emotions disrespects you and the other person’s emotions. It’s not fair to just go along with things and give a false sense of security if your feelings aren’t genuine.
  10. T*H*E W*O*R*S*T Thing That You Can Do Is Retract Your Rejection Because You Feel Sorry For Them  And Want To Hurt Them: Pretty straight forward. Going back and trying to make them feel better because they’re sad only makes things confusing. As much as you may hate to see the person disappointed things aren’t going to work out, sometimes it’s just the way things have to be.
  11. Don’t End The Conversation On A Bad Note: Just because you don’t want to have a relationship doesn’t mean there can’t be a friendship. Being let down is not fun, so not ending the conversation on a bad note can help them get over you.
About the Contributors
Carly Cline, Section Editor

Carly Cline is a second year journalism student. This is Carly Cline’s first year in newspaper but she has been in Yearbook for two years. She has also...

Daniel Sterbens, Editor in Chief

Daniel Sterbens has been a part of The Talon staff for two years and has also worked with Fivay's broadcasting program The Wingspan News. He is currently...