Suicide Prevention Month

With October brings many things, one of them is celebrated the whole month and that is Suicide Prevention.

C.J. Savastano, News Writer

Suicide is a very serious issue that isn’t talked about enough, or it may just be that people don’t know how to talk about it. There are many individuals left suffering in silence every day. It is dire that people in crisis and their connections know their resources.

“During this month, week and day, individuals and organizations alike will be drawing attention to the problem of suicide and advocating the prevention of this terrible tragedy,” Tabitha Barron said. “Suicide is a national health problem that currently ranks as the 2nd leading cause of death for ages 10 – 24. Suicide is also one of the leading causes of preventable death in our nation.”

It is important to do whatever possible to save these precious lives. One of the most important parts is speaking up.

“It’s important to communicate so students aren’t afraid to talk about it and ask questions,” Barron said. “Tell a trusted adult at school if you or a friend is talking about suicide or showing signs.  We will conduct an assessment and get the student the help and support they are asking for.”

There are many resources on campus like Barron to help individuals get through this tough time. The staff here is happy to help in any way that they can.

“Any adult on campus is a resource,” Barron said. “If you or someone you know is in trouble, tell an adult so we can provide an assessment and get the person the help they are seeking.”

If the individual cannot get in touch with staff or feels it is not the right thing for them, the school highly encourages the usage of online resources as well. One suggested resource is the Crisis Text Line, which supports people in crisis over text.

“Every texter is connected with a Crisis Counselor,” the Crisis Text Line website stated. “A real-life human being trained to bring texters from a hot moment to a cool calm through active listening and collaborative problem-solving.”

Another suggested source is the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Dial the number, and you will be connected to a helper to guide you through your troubles.

“We can all help prevent suicide,” the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline website stated. “The Lifeline provides 24/7, free and confidential support for people in distress, prevention and crisis resources for you or your loved ones, and best practices for professionals.”

Suicide is a very important topic and should be talked about. If you or a loved one is going through a crisis, speak up by talking to a staff member, texting HOME to 741741, or call 1-800-273-8255.