Veterans Day With Teachers

Brianna Phillips, News Writer

Veterans Day is a federal holiday in the United States observed annually on November 11, for honoring military veterans, that is, persons who have served in the United States Armed Forces. Veterans day is the anniversary of the signing of the armistice which ended World War 1 hostilities between the Allied nations and Germany in 1918.
World War I officially ended on June 28th, 1919, with the signing of the Treaty of Versailles. This day was originally called Armistice day but later changed on June 1st, 1954, to honor all U.S. veterans who have served in the military.

Some of the teachers here at Fivay High School have served in the military.
Kathleen Ranus (Secretary)
Robert Benjamin (Social Studies teacher)
Scott Love (Social Studies teacher)
Homer Hodges (Master Sergeant NJROTC)

Kathleen Ranus was in the Air Force and she served as a medical service specialist for four years.

“It was hard to get back into the civilian life because it’s so structured,” Ranus said. “But I’d do it again, I wish I had stayed in the reserves”

Robert Benjamin was in the Navy and he served as a hospital corpsman for seven years.

“I miss it,” Benjamin said “if I was healthy and young enough I’d do it again.”

Benjamin says he enjoyed the military and his position because he had more opportunities than most regular nurses had.

Scott Love was in the Marine corp and he served as a field medic for four years. He provided medical records for the soldiers and emergency care for any marines that were shot or injured in combat.

“I felt grateful for people that do what I did on a regular basis and thankful for the opportunities the Marine corp gave me”

Homer Hodges was in the Marine Corps and he served as an administrator by trade and a recruiter for twenty two years.

“It was an awesome experience and I would do it again,” Hodges said.

The military gives people an amazing experience to do things they never would have thought they would be doing. Serving in the military isn’t just about going into wars though, it’s about being a hero and honoring your country as an individual. This is why it is important to recognize your fellow veterans and thank them for what they have done for this country.