FSA Standards Shouldn’t be Lowered

Devan Lienhart, Opinion Writer

The Florida Standards Assessments or known as the FSA’s, are a set of reading, writing, and math tests designed to measure student performance. These tests are tied to Florida’s common care based standards, which outline what students should know at the end of each grade. To pass high school you must pass high school FSA’s with a 3 or above. By lowering the requirements and scores needed to pass you are letting people who have not mastered the topics, and still graduate.

To pass the FSA’s you need to at least get a 3 out of 5 so that’s like around 60% to 70% correct. Lowering these scores would mean that you could pass with a 50% which is a failing grade. If you get a 1 or a 2 on the FSA’s then you should not be able to pass. The standards to pass are already so low, that lowering the requirements is like giving people a free pass to graduate without even trying at all.

These types of people who have not mastered the topics that are taught in high school will graduate with their diploma and have not learned as much as they should have to graduate. The FSA’s are not a very complicated test to take if you pay attention in class to master the skills needed to pass the FSA’s.

“The 64% of 10th graders who passed the history exam were just below the statewide 70%, but improved from the 58% who passed last year. Students in 11th grade surpassed the statewide percentage, at 84% to 70%, also an improvement from the previous year”. Says Davidson Hiers of the tallahassee democrat newspaper website.

There is no need for the standards to be lowered because of the people who choose to not pay attention in class and this ends in these students failing the FSA’s with low scores.