New to Fivay? Here’s what you should know.

September 17, 2018

Hello, and welcome to what is sure to be an exciting year at Fivay High School. For some of you, this is your first time ever picking up a copy of the Talon. For others, you’ve been not only reading the Talon, but given assignments analyzing it (if you’ve experienced the latter our staff apologize for the assignment, but enjoyed the read). For those of you not only new to the Talon, but Fivay in general, we’ve come together and would like to share some of the things we have come to love about our school, and the ways we all can improve it.

Smiling faces. One of the best things about walking down the hall at Fivay is if you run into one of our Assistant Principals or Principal, Dr. Stanley, chances are you’ll be greeted with a smiling face. The job of an administrator is demanding and often thankless, but most of the time you’ll never see it on their faces. We have been given some fantastic leaders of this school, and we suggest you take the time to get to meet them and thank them for all they do.

One of the other fantastic features our school is the campus itself. PLEASE take care of it. Take time to appreciate just how nice of a campus we have and how much hard work goes into keeping it looking nice.

But while we’re on the topic of school appearance, there is one eye sore that is a unanimous must go; PDA. By the off chance some of you haven’t noticed, the school is pretty full, and getting to class before the late bell is hard enough. We don’t need to pull some Madden spin moves to try and get around some of our more ‘affectionate classmates’. So one behalf of the entire campus: save it for another time and place, remember absence makes the heart grow fonder.

As for the sports and clubs at Fivay, I believe the best answers lie within your classmates. All around you as you go throughout your day, knowingly or unknowingly, you pass by some of the people really making an impact for our school; be it driving in runs or excelling academically. Take the time to congratulate them or ask them about their season, it really does make a difference.

The last thing that we would like to share with you is something that you’ve shared with us long before this story was ever written. You. The common denominator in everything about this school is you!

“How will clubs go, how will our teams do, will people show pride in what myself or classmates work hard for?”

We don’t have some road map or magic ball that can give us all the answers, no one does. But what we do have is the ability everyday to wake up and be the best we can be, for ourselves and our classmates. You can make all the difference in this school. You only have one shot at high school and we suggest you make the most of every chance you get here. Never feel as though things can’t get better or you can’t make a difference, falcons are never defeated. The only real question is what will you do change Fivay?