THE TALON

THE TALON

Filed under PAST ISSUES

Fuller Nest

Once upon a time, having 25 in a classroom was considered the max. This year at Fivay, if you have a class of 25, you are seeing as it being "too small". The addition of over 600 new students has left many class roster numbers in the 30's and 40's.

Two students back out of their chairs and collide, they look around and observe the
superhighway that is their classroom: tons of crashes at the bell and chances for students to be
late to their ultimate destinations – passing their classes.
Everyone who has been at Fivay the past couple of weeks, old and new, despise the
daily doses of overcrowdedness. Many students found this, along with the in and out doors and
up and down stairs, to become a real problem when they became late to their classes, “It (doors
and stairs) takes longer and just causes more traffic, people still don’t listen. I think we’re better
off without them, stairs are harder to bypass and should be open for all directions“ Jillian Hays
(‘21) said with burden.
When the students voiced their concerns, our very own Fivay Administration quickly
went to work on repairing the schedule and adding new teachers
“We purposely planned 3 lunches to accommodate the number of students. Some of our
class sizes are really really big, on the fifth, tenth, and twentieth days of school district makes us
do warm body counts,” explained Assistant Principal Mrs.Lawrence. “Then they start looking at
schools in need (too many kids the school receives needed teachers, school with too many
teachers not enough kids send teachers elsewhere); we recently finished the 20th day of
school.”
Because the twentieth day has passed there might be changes such as class size rules.
Typically 25 students or more per class or the school may receive some fines, but it is based off
a school average. Because of this we might still come out to be around 25-26 students, that’s
why the warm body count is so important.
Along with transferring teachers to different schools, we received a five minute passing
time to assist overcrowdedness. The Freshman class was especially grateful considering they
are the biggest class, as well sophomores felt a sense of relief too.
Now the students that felt like sardines in the halls feel more relaxed while still being
motivated to get to class, but the overcrowdedness in classrooms remains,
“I was able to be on time in my seat and ready to learn for all my classes today, instead
of being rushed to get into the door,” Shelby Chapman (‘21) said quickly, “but one of my classes
is huge – there’s over forty kids, and it’s difficult to even hear the teacher sometimes.”
Because of the added six-hundred falcons, Fivay will always be overcrowded, but by
working with administration we have been able to minimize it. Maybe more people in a
classroom will lead to newfound friendships and a better learning environment, or the opposite,
we’ll just have to find out.