THE TALON

THE TALON

Thomas Kovack

Cassie Hack, Contributor

In a moment of fear, an injury transformed his life. Having achieved a soccer scholarship to the University of North Florida and losing the ability to play during his preseason freshman year, he was forced down a different path. From the 2010 – 2011 plain yearbook production, to the State Wide Award Winning 2018 – 2019 yearbook, Mr. Thomas Kovack has nursed the neglected journalism program to perfection. Beginning in 2010, and remaining for nearly 8 years, Kovack has guided and mentored hundreds of successful students through creating incredibly victorious journalistic works. With Newspaper, Yearbook, and the newly created Creative Writing and Speech and Debate classes, he has triumphantly excelled in each task. Putting out four thorough newspapers a year and yearbooks filled to the brim with over 200 pages of creative student content, the workload is no doubt demanding. However, winning Journalism Teacher Of The Year at FSPA in 2016, Kovack has proven more than worthy of the tasks. Students that have participated and contributed their heart and soul to various Journalism programs can comment that there is an aura of teamwork and friendship, formed from no less than the driven efforts of Mr. “Tommy” Kovack. Though his endeavors may not continue many more years, the lasting effects of the environment created by Kovack at Fivay High School will live on in the hearts of every student that has had the privilege of being a part of his teams.

About the Photographer
Daniel Sterbens, Editor in Chief

Daniel Sterbens has been a part of The Talon staff for two years and has also worked with Fivay's broadcasting program The Wingspan News. He is currently...